Text Size   decrease font size increase font size

Motor vehicles, motorboats, ATV's and minibikes coming into Nebraska from another state are required to obtain a Nebraska Certificate of Title, unless they fall into the category of Motor Vehicles Exempt from Titling.

To obtain a title, the following documentation, properly assigned, must be surrendered to the County where the vehicle has tax situs (where you reside):

  • Certificate of Title from vehicle's previous state of title.
    Note: if previous state was NOT a title-issuing state, you will need the vehicle(s) last registration and if ownership is transferring, a notarized Bill of Sale.
  • Application for Certificate of Title
  • Sheriff's Inspection: Located adjacent to our Midtown Branch office at 411 N 84 St. Hours of Operation are 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Monday through Friday. Fee is $10.00.
  • A copy of Security Agreement if previous state's title indicates an open lien.

The fee for a Certificate of Title is $10.00, if there is an open lien the fee is $17.00.

If the ownership of the vehicle is not changing, but the owner(s) are relocating to Nebraska, and the lien holder is securing the title, the following must be completed prior to registering your vehicle in Douglas County:

The Douglas County Treasurer's Office will contact the lien holder; the lien holder will send your current out-of-state title to our office. Upon receipt of the out-of-state title, we will notify the customer of the Nebraska state inspection requirements. When the inspection is completed, a Nebraska title with your current lien holder's information noted will be sent to your lien holder.

To register the vehicle, you will need proof of insurance and prior registration from the previous state. If the previous registration is not available, a receipt showing proof of payment for the sales tax is required.

According to State of Nebraska Statues Section 60-366, you must register your vehicle in this county after thirty (30) days of residence in this state.