Text Size   decrease font size increase font size

Dear Students:

All full-time college students who have an out-of-state permanent residence and are enrolled in 12 or more semester hours are exempt from registering their vehicles in Nebraska. However, if you are temporarily residing in Omaha you will need to comply with the City of Omaha's Municipal Code Ordinance 16-22, which requires you to pay the City of Omaha Wheel Tax.

This can be accomplished by visiting any one of the following five locations of the Douglas County Treasurer's Office:

  • 4202 S. 50th St.
  • 7414 N. 30th St.
  • 5730 S. 144th St.
  • 15335 West Maple Rd.  Ste 102
  • 411 N. 84th St.

The fee is $5.00 and is valid during the registration period only. The following documentation will be required:

  • Vehicle Registration
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Class Schedule

If you have any questions, you can contact our office at (402) 444-7103.

Thank you for your prompt attention.


John W. Ewing, Jr.
Douglas County Treasurer