Text Size   decrease font size increase font size

A Certificate of Title is required for all motorboats in Nebraska, with the following exceptions:

  • Any motorboat manufactured prior to November 1, 1972;
  • Any motorboat owned by the United States or any agency or political subdivision;
  • Any motorboat owned by the State of Nebraska or any agency or political subdivision;

No person shall sell a motorboat without delivering to the purchaser a properly assigned Certificate of Title or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO).

Federal Law requires all boats manufactured after November 1, 1972 to display a 12 character Hull Identification Number (HIN). If a boat does not, the owner must fill out an Assigned ID Number Application. This application must be filed with the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles prior to titling a boat.

To obtain a Certificate of Title the applicant must be a resident of Nebraska and submit a completed Application for Certificate of Title signed by all parties whose names are to appear on the title. In addition, a fee of $10.00 payable to the Douglas County Treasurer, and proper evidence of ownership must accompany the Application for Title.

Nebraska motorboat registrations are issued for a three-year period. The motorboat must be registered in the boater's county of residence.

The fees for a three-year registration period are as follows:

  • Class 1 - vessels less than 16 feet in length and all canoes regardless of length: $33.00
  • Class 2 - vessels 16 feet or over but less than 26 feet in length: $53.00
  • Class 3 - vessels 26 feet or over but less than 40 feet in length: $73.00
  • Class 4 - vessels 40 feet in length and over: $113.00
  • Class 5 - dealers or manufacturers of motorboats for demonstration or testing purposes: $51.00